Date: October 21, 2015 & November 16, 2015
Location: Online - Webinar
Title IX Training Series: Gender Discrimination in Education
Led by Staff Attorney Laura Riley of the California Women’s Law Center, this three-part webinar series covered:
Sexual Harassment and Sexual Assault in Schools – Wednesday, October 21, 2015 at 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- The campus sexual assault crisis has received a lot of attention in the media and from legal professionals lately – but it’s not just college students who need protection. Are you interested in learning about how Title IX protects students at every level from sexual harassment and sexual assault in school?Join us for the first webinar in a three-part training series addressing the responsibilities of schools under Title IX, a federal civil rights law prohibiting gender discrimination in education — Title IX, Part 1: Sexual Harassment and Sexual Assault in Schools
- During this webinar, we’ll examine the scope of Title IX, schools’ responsibilities for preventing and responding to sexual harassment and sexual assault, and Title IX remedies available to students whose schools are in violation using caselaw and other real-life examples. We’ll provide tips on how to spot policies and practices that violate Title IX and information on how you can get involved to help make schools safer for all students. The webinar will end with time for questions and answers.
- The webinar will be presented by CWLC Staff Attorney, Laura Riley, and Program Director, Kamilah Willingham, both of whom have extensive experience with Title IX enforcement and adjudication procedures, as well as advocacy for student survivors of sexual harassment and sexual assault.
- This 60-minute webinar is designed for attorneys, but anyone who is interested in learning about Title IX protections for students is invited to attend. No prior knowledge or experience is required. The video recording of this webinar will be available soon.
The Rights of Pregnant and Parenting Students – Monday, November 16, 2015 at 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- What constitutes pregnancy or parental status discrimination? How do students experience it in schools? How can (and must) schools make sure that they ensure the same access to classes and school activities for all students? If you’re interested in learning about schools’ responsibilities under Title IX, and the newly enacted AB 302 lactation accommodations law, join us for the second webinar in a three-part training series addressing the responsibilities of schools under Title IX, a federal civil rights law prohibiting gender discrimination in education – Title IX, Part 2: Rights of Pregnant and Parenting Students.The webinar will be presented by CWLC Staff Attorney Laura Riley with guest speakers: Jennifer Chou, Reproductive Justice Attorney at ACLU of Northern California, and Cindy Young, Project Coordinator at BreastfeedLA.
- This 60-minute webinar is designed for attorneys, but anyone who is interested in learning about Title IX protections for pregnant and parenting students is invited to attend. No prior knowledge or experience is required. Register HERE for this webinar.
Equality in High School Athletic Programs – Date to be announced soon.
The webinars addressed the responsibilities of schools under Title IX, the federal civil rights law that prohibits sex discrimination in education. Each presentation provided examples of model policies for schools, tips on how to spot discriminatory policies and practices, and an overview of remedies available to students whose schools do not comply with Title IX.
1 hour MCLE general credit was available per webinar.
Laura Riley, Staff Attorney at the California Women’s Law Center
Kamilah Willingham, Program and Outreach Director at the California Women’s Law Center